Thankful Thursday – Hard Knocks Edition
So this had been a hard couple of weeks for just about everyone I’ve spoken to. There is real and messy heaviness in the air. This is exactly the moment thankful thursdays are good for. I sat down to write this post one hour ago and have done exactly everything except contemplate gratitude. It feels as if pain would be cheated if I wrote about good things, but, of course, it won’t. Pain is here. Sorrow is here. Tears are here. They live with simple joys.
So today I am grateful for:
* Texting. People who really know me know that I’m technologically illiterate, but this week I had my phone on. I received many texts with words of encouragement. Somewhere in there I recall telling a 6 year old that my phone only sends love texts, which got a look from his mother, but it’s TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM SEXTING!
* Summer camp. Liam just got back from camp. My quiet boy talked for an hour about how much fun camp was. He caught a kazillion fish, went swimming in the dark, was an MC for stage night, and made friends. Liam even delighted us with his camp cheer. (S-U-PER Super red is what we are. We’re number 1… not 2 not 3 something something something)
* Babies. In the midst of death there is life. Never have I felt this more than last week as I walked the road of grief with one dear friend while anticipating the birth of a beautiful daughter with another.
* State agencies that listen. Ok, I know you didn’t think they existed. We’ve had to re-apply for our respite services so I called the agency to ask a few questions about the application. I was able to clarify something for them and the guy said, “you really should work here.” Um, no thanks, but call me maybe.
* Squash. I’m not gonna lie – our garden has gone squash bonkers and we’ve been eating it for a month straight. But this week, I used it in a cake recipe. So, thank-you squash for being chocolatey and nutritious.
What about you? Are you having to dig deep this week in gratitude? What are you thankful for?